Re: transaction ID query

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Kevin Kempter <kevin(at)kevinkempterllc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: transaction ID query
Date: 2007-08-30 13:12:48
Lists: pgsql-admin

Kevin Kempter wrote:
> Hi List;
>
> can I run queries to see the following for postgres v 8.1.4:

Update to 8.1.9 *soon* unless you want to be victim of a nasty autovac
bug. And in case you already were (which you won't know until your
database starts causing you hard-to-fix headaches), I suggest you
connect to template0 and run VACUUM FREEZE for precaution.

> a) where the db is per used transaction ID's (want to avoid a transaction ID
> wrap-around scenario)

select age(datfrozenxid) from pg_database;

> b) a list of tables in the db and the last time they were vacuumed

Examine the pg_stat views, though I am not sure if the vacuum columns
were already in 8.1. In any case, in 8.1 Xid wraparound is tracked
per-database, so you need database-wide vacuums. In 8.2 it is per table
so it is easier to keep up to date.