Re: BUG #3589: /etc/init.d/postgresql reload doesn't reflect /etc/postgresql/postgresql.conf log_statement

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: fuminori ido <ido(at)netlab(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3589: /etc/init.d/postgresql reload doesn't reflect /etc/postgresql/postgresql.conf log_statement
Date: 2007-08-30 07:57:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 03:02:54AM +0000, fuminori ido wrote:

> Bug reference: 3589
> Logged by: fuminori ido
> Email address: ido(at)netlab(dot)jp
> PostgreSQL version: 7.4.7
> Operating system: GNU/Linux, Debian3.1
> /etc/postgresql/postgresql.conf log_statement
> Details:
>
> Dear,
>
> When I operate the following steps from command-line, postgres still
> generates SQL statement. Is this bug or spec?:
>
> 1) At first, set log_statement=true in /etc/postgresql/postgresql.conf
>
> 2) do reload by /etc/init.d/postgresql reload
> I can see a lot of SQL in /var/log/postgresql/postgres.log.
>
> 3) Then, I commented-out the log_statement=true. This means I thought
> default setting(log_statement=false) would be effective.

There's your problem right there: it does *not* mean that the default
setting would be effective. It means that the setting won't be changed.
Remove the comment and set it to false, and it'll work.
(if you restart the server instead of reload it *will* fall back to the
default, which isn't very consistent)

This is a known problem (though arguably not actually a bug) but it's far
from trivial to fix which is why it hasn't been fixed yet.

//Magnus