Re: "Postgre" WAS: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "Postgre" WAS: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date: 2007-08-29 06:36:14
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Stefan, other English and German speakers:

> this usually only happens when somebody uses "postgre" - never seen
> people complain about "postgres" ...

This travel season I spent considerable time in Brazil and Italy. Thing is,
there is *no* reasonable way to pronounce "PostgreSQL" with a Portuguese or
Italian accent. It's a tongue-twister.

Given that it's more important to us that the Brazillian, Italian and
Spanish-speaking communities grow and get active in the worldwide community,
can we cut them some slack on pronounciation? Can we please stop knee-jerk
reacting to an understandable mispronunciation / abbreviation?

Honestly, it makes our community sound like the people who insist on
"Gnu/Linux" all the time or "Lego Brand Building Blocks".

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun