Re: Theme of this release: Performance?

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dim(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Josh Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Theme of this release: Performance?
Date: 2007-08-23 20:20:47
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Le Thursday 23 August 2007 21:54:30 Alvaro Herrera, vous avez écrit :
> So performance has always been part of the theme. The question is _what
> else_ will be theme this release ...

Some of the (main) patches included, from the dedicated wiki page[1], are:
Tsearch2, big feature
HOT, performances & scalability
Async Commit, performance & scalability
Sync Scan, performance & scalability
Load distributed checkpoint, perfs & scalability
Updatable Cursors, feature
Circular buffer in tuplestore, perfs?
scan resistant buffer cache, perfs & scalability
varlena length, perfs & scalability
Index Advisor, scalability

Sorry if some items are badly categorized, feel free to correct if it proves
useful for the topic. Same with missing important patches...

What I'd propose as the main theme is scalability and ongoing features
completion. PostgreSQL has less and less missing from the other big
commercial ones, and is more and more capable of serving big databases in
demanding environments. More capable than competition? certainly, try out by
yourself...

Ok, I'll let the people with some editing talent formulating this ;)

[1] http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Todo:PatchStatus

Hope this helps, Regards,
--
dim