== Wöchentlicher PostgreSQL Newsletter - 12. August 2007 ==

From: Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de>
To: "pgsql-de-allgemein(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-de-allgemein(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "pgusers(at)postgres(dot)de" <pgusers(at)postgres(dot)de>
Subject: == Wöchentlicher PostgreSQL Newsletter - 12. August 2007 ==
Date: 2007-08-13 13:14:22
Lists: pgsql-de-allgemein

Der Originalartikel befindet sich unter:
http://people.planetpostgresql.org/dfetter/index.php?/archives/131-PostgreSQL-Weekly-News-August-12-2007.html

== Wöchentlicher PostgreSQL Newsletter - 12. August 2007 ==

Der PostgreSQL Fond bei SPI Inc. dankt den folgenden Firmen für
die Unterstützung die unseren sehr professionellen Auftritt auf der
LinuxWorldExpo und der OSCON ermöglicht haben: Continuent,
Open Technology Group, Truviso, CommandPrompt, EnterpriseDB
und Once Technologies.

== PostgreSQL Produkt Neuigkeiten ==

EnterpriseDB Postgres erschienen.
http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/index.do

pgsnmpd 1.0 erschienen.
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgsnmpd/

SchemaCrawler 5.1 for PostgreSQL erschienen.
http://schemacrawler.sourceforge.net/

== PostgreSQL Jobs im August ==

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2007-08/threads.php

== PostgreSQL Lokal ==

== PostgreSQL in the News ==

Planet PostgreSQL: http://www.planetpostgresql.org/

General Bits, Archive und gelegentliche News Artikel:
http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/

Dieser wöchentliche PostgreSQL Newsletter wurde erstellt von David
Fetter und Josh Berkus.

Sende Neuigkeiten und Ankündigungen bis Sonntag, 15 Uhr Pazifischer
Zeit. Bitte sende englische Beiträge an david(at)fetter(dot)org, deutsche an
pwn(at)pgug(dot)de(dot)

== Angewandte Patches ==

Neil Conway committed:

- Fix a gradual memory leak in ExecReScanAgg(). Because the
aggregation hash table is allocated in a child context of the agg
node's memory context, MemoryContextReset() will reset but *not*
delete the child context. Since ExecReScanAgg() proceeds to build a
new hash table from scratch (in a new sub-context), this results in
leaking the header for the previous memory context. Therefore, use
MemoryContextResetAndDeleteChildren() instead. Credit: My colleague
Sailesh Krishnamurthy at Truviso for isolating the cause of the
leak.

- Adjust the output of MemoryContextStats() so that the stats for a
child memory contexts is indented two spaces to the right of its
parent context. This should make it easier to deduce the memory
context hierarchy from the output of MemoryContextStats().

Magnus Hagander committed:

- In pgsql/doc/src/sgml/cvs.sgml, fix incorrect URI for cvs rsync

Tom Lane committed:

- Avoid memory leakage across successive calls of regexp_matches() or
regexp_split_to_table() within a single query. This is only a
partial solution, as it turns out that with enough matches per
string these functions can also tickle a repalloc() misbehavior.
But fixing that is a topic for a separate patch.

- Code review for regexp_matches/regexp_split patch. Refactor to
avoid assuming that cached compiled patterns will still be there
when the function is next called. Clean up looping logic, thereby
fixing bug identified by Pavel Stehule. Share setup code between
the two functions, add some comments, and avoid risky mixing of int
and size_t variables. Clean up the documentation a tad, and accept
all the flag characters mentioned in table 9-19 rather than just a
subset.

- Fix uninitialized-memory bug in plpython proargnames patch. Per bug

- Fix unintended change of output format for createlang/droplang -l.
Missed these uses of printQuery() in FETCH_COUNT patch a year ago
:-(. Per report from Tomoaki Sato.

- Fix search for SGML stylesheets to include the place where Gentoo
keeps them. Brendan Jurd

- Revise postmaster startup/shutdown logic to eliminate the problem
that a constant flow of new connection requests could prevent the
postmaster from completing a shutdown or crash restart. This is
done by labeling child processes that are "dead ends", that is, we
know that they were launched only to tell a client that it can't
connect. These processes are managed separately so that they don't
confuse us into thinking that we can't advance to the next stage of
a shutdown or restart sequence, until the very end where we must
wait for them to drain out so we can delete the shmem segment. Per
discussion of a misbehavior reported by Keaton Adams. Since this
code was baroque already, and my first attempt at fixing the problem
made it entirely impenetrable, I took the opportunity to rewrite it
in a state-machine style. That eliminates some duplicated code
sections and hopefully makes everything a bit clearer.

- Fix thinko in multi-autovac-workers code: validity checks made by
GUC assign hooks are supposed to be made whether doit is true or
not.

- Fix pg_restore to guard against unexpected EOF while reading an
archive file. Per report and partial patch from Chad Wagner.

- Adjust configure so that it sets CFLAGS properly for Intel's icc
even if the compiler is not defining __GNUC__. Per report from Dirk
Tilger that it is possible for icc to not do that.

- In pgsql/src/include/storage/s_lock.h, apparently icc doesn't always
define __ICC, and it's more correct to check for __INTEL_COMPILER.
Per report from Dirk Tilger. Not back-patched since I don't fully
trust it yet ...

--
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Deutsche PostgreSQL User Group: http://www.pgug.de