Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Joshua_Kramer <josh(at)globalherald(dot)net>
Subject: Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres
Date: 2007-08-09 08:30:12
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Am Mittwoch, 8. August 2007 23:47 schrieb Decibel!:
> Well, you mentioned lack of vacuuming twice in your blog, so you're the
> last person I expected to object to this.
>
> I don't see how leaving autovacuum turned off can be a good idea in a
> package that's specifically meant to be easy.

It's more of a general observation. Several downstream distributors turned
autovacuum on by default some time ago, their decision process having been
something like, "Automatic vacuum? Cool!". There are certainly cases where
enabling autovacuum by default is reasonable. But remember the lengthy
discussion we had before the 8.2 release about whether to turn it on, and the
extensive development necessary for 8.3 to make enabling it by default safe.
There was clearly more thought being put into it than some of the
distributors did.

--
Peter Eisentraut