Re: Strange ODBC behavior.

From: Adrian Klaver <aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Paul Lambert <paul(dot)lambert(at)autoledgers(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: Strange ODBC behavior.
Date: 2007-08-03 14:21:36
Lists: pgsql-odbc

On Friday 03 August 2007 1:38 am, Paul Lambert wrote:
> Paul Lambert wrote:
> > I had a server have a power outage on one of my PostgreSQL servers
> > yesterday and am having a strange ODBC issue now - not sure if they are
> > related occurances though.
> >
> > I have a table called billing_code and one called models in my database.
> > If I connect via psql to the database with my standard db user I can see
> > both of these tables as well as the data contained within.
> >
> > If I attempt to link these tables from MS Access, the billing_code one
> > returns "The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object
> > 'public.billing_code'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell
> > its name and the path name correctly" - this error despite the fact that
> > I had to physically select the table from a list it presented me when I
> > went into the linked table manager.
> >
> > If I link the models table, it links fine, but when I attempt to open
> > it, I just get #Deleted in every column of every row for about 54,000
> > rows (the total number in the table)
> >
> > The same problem happens with some of the other tables in the database -
> > some will get the first problem, some will get the second problem, and
> > some will link and load data without issue.
> >
> > I was running odbc driver 8.02.02, I've upgraded to 8.02.04 - just in
> > case there was a problem with the driver getting corrupted but the
> > problem persists.
> >
> > Can anyone offer any thoughts or suggestions on what the problem might
> > be?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Paul.
>
> I've done a full pg_dump, deleted the database and tablespaces,
> recreated everything, restored the data and the same behavior is being
> exhibited - at least as far as returning #Deleted in some of the tables.
>
> Users with an Access database that already has the table linked don't
> have a problem accessing the data, but those adding a new link to the
> table do.
>
> Any thoughts on this or is it more of an access issue?
I believe this is more of an Access/ODBC issue. I recently had a similar
problem with a Foxpro ODBC setup and Access. In that case I had to renter the
path information to get Access to see the data in the tables. I have also
found it necessary to reboot the machine with Access on it for changes to be
seen.
--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net