Re: enable logging of start time/cookie for all backend processes

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: enable logging of start time/cookie for all backend processes
Date: 2007-08-01 16:36:56
Lists: pgsql-patches

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

>> The attached patch makes a very small but useful change to the behaviour
>> of log_line_prefix, by enabling the start time (%s) and cookie (%c)
>> logging to occur for all backends rather than just for session processes
>> (i.e. backends started for a client connection). We actually need almost
>> all of this patch, with or without the change in behaviour, so we can put
>> the cookie in CSVlogs (which I'm still working on), since the cookie+line
>> number make the natural primary key for the logs. The actual change in
>> behaviour from this patch comes from the removal of 2 "if (MyProcPort)"
>> lines in elog.c. Given that, can I sneak this in or should I wait for 8.4
>> given we're long past feature freeze?
>>
>> Most of this has been factored out (and cleaned up) from my previous
>> CSVlog patch, so it's not new. I did that so that what is left when I
>> finish will have a rather smaller footprint, as this part seemed fairly
>> seperable.
>
> I haven't seen a response to this. If there's no objection I intend to
> apply this.

I was just looking at it. I was wondering why didn't you set the start
time in syslogger and bgwriter. If it isn't necessary for those, why do
you bother setting it in autovac launcher?

I am also wondering if setting it in InitAuxiliaryProcess is redundant
(or rather, whether the extra set in each auxiliary process is redundant
with the call in InitAuxiliaryProcess).