Re: postgresql publication ---> was "Re: New MySQL Journal"

From: Robert Bernier <robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Bob Zurek" <bob(dot)zurek(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: postgresql publication ---> was "Re: New MySQL Journal"
Date: 2007-07-31 17:25:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tuesday 31 July 2007 13:06, Josh Berkus wrote:
> I'm personally dubvious about the advisability of having our own Journal vs.
> having regular articles in other people's publications. I don't think that
> we have so many writers in the community that doing a PostgreSQL journal
> wouldn't rob Linux magazines, sysadmin magazines, blogs, oreillynet etc. of
> content.

I don't believe we're robbing anybody.

As somebody who's income is primarily derived from advocating i.e. training and publishing articles, I have been fortunate in seeing how the publishing industry works vis a vis opensource articles.

> If we think we have untapped writers, I'd rather push them to contribute to
> these publications, which will reach people who aren't PG users or have even
> heard of PG rather than the faithful. This would be especially the case
> with and online-only Journal, which nobody would stumble across on the
> newsstand by accident.

> The only way this makes sense is if it would attract many new people to
> writing and publishing about PostgreSQL who otherwise wouldn't do it. If
> nothing else, I don't believe that our existing active writers are
> sufficient for a Journal.

I'm not worried about a lack of writers. In either case it's something that doesn't require a decision just yet.

Let's see what happens with Bob's initiative.

Robert