Re: default_text_search_config and expression indexes

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Michael Paesold <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: default_text_search_config and expression indexes
Date: 2007-07-31 02:37:32
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > 3) Remove default_text_search_config and require the
> > configuration to be specified in each function call.
> >
> > If we remove default_text_search_config, it would also make ::tsvector
> > casting useless as well.
>
> OK, I just found a case that I think is going to make #3 a requirement
> (remove default_text_search_config).
>
> How is a CREATE INDEX ... to_tsvector(col) going to restore from a
> pg_dump? I see no way of guaranteeing that the
> default_text_search_config is correct on the restore, and in fact I
> don't think we have any way of knowing the default_text_search_config
> used for the index.

Make pg_dump emit only CREATE INDEX sentences with two-param format. In
fact I think it would make sense to convert internally the one-param
format to two-param, before hitting the catalogs.

This would also solve your problem about usability of WHERE clauses, if
you rewrite the one-param calls to two-params before the optimizer kicks
in.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/DXLWNGRJD34J
"Nadie esta tan esclavizado como el que se cree libre no siendolo" (Goethe)