doubt about datum

From: Luca Ferrari <fluca1978(at)infinito(dot)it>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: doubt about datum
Date: 2007-07-29 13:25:42
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi all,
I'm new to postgresql programming and I'd like to understand what a datum is
(what is its purpose); I guess it is a kind of OID for customized data type
created by users, but I'm not sure. Moreover why it does not need transaction
visibility as an ordinary tuple (xmin, cmin, cmax, xmax)?

Thanks,
Luca