BUG #3493: Cannot find data with = operator

From: "Michal Niklas" <mn(at)heuthes(dot)pl>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #3493: Cannot find data with = operator
Date: 2007-07-27 10:11:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 3493
Logged by: Michal Niklas
Email address: mn(at)heuthes(dot)pl
PostgreSQL version: 8.1.9
Operating system: Linux, x86-64, debian
Details:

I cannot find just inserted data with = operator.
It can be found if I use LIKE.

My SQL looks like:
begin;
select version();
insert into customers (name) values ('KIOSK ');
select id,name from customers where name='KIOSK ';
select id,name from customers where name like 'KIOSK ';
rollback;

Result on my psql console:

isof_customer=# select version();
version
-------------------------------------
PostgreSQL 8.1.9 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC cc (GCC) 4.1.2
20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)
(1 row)

isof_customer=# insert into customers (name) values ('KIOSK ');
INSERT 437819002 1
isof_customer=# select id,name from customers where name='KIOSK ';
id | name
---------------+------------------
(0 rows)

isof_customer=# select id,name from customers where name like 'KIOSK ';
id | name
---------------+------------------
218856 | KIOSK
(1 row)

This is problem in just one table in one database. It works as expected on
just created tmp table and on other customers databases. It works if I
change 'KIOSK ' to other text. I tried 'vacuum analyze' on this table but
it didn't help.

Regards,
Michal Niklas
HEUTHES