Re: Machine available for community use

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Machine available for community use
Date: 2007-07-26 15:13:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Joshua D. Drake (jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com) wrote:
> Personally, I think CentOS 5 is probably the most reasonable choice. It is
> what (or RHEL 5 which is the same) a good portion of our community is going
> to be running. It is also easy to work with.
>
> Another alternative would be Debian or Ubuntu Dapper but they are all
> really the same thing :). The nice thing is any of these three are fairly
> static installs that are going to be reasonably predictable.

If we can generally agree on "Linux" then it might be reasonable to
consider using either VServers or just regular chroot's with different
OSes loaded (when/if we want to look at a particular OS). There'd be
little to no performance impact from such a solution while we'd still
have different OSes to play with.

Of course, the kernel would be the same for all of them, so if that's
what we're interested mostly in testing/stressing then it's no good. I
got the impression from some that various gcc builds, glibc versions,
etc, would be good to test though and a VServer or chroot setup could
work well for that.

As a Debian Developer, I have to also say that Debian would be my
choice. :) Though I've got a number of big toys to play w/ at work
already so it's unlikely I'd have need of this system (not to mention
that most of the stuff I work on in PG is usability rather than things
like large-scale performance, currently anyway).

Thanks,

Stephen