Re: Insert Statements Hanging

From: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)simkin(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Insert Statements Hanging
Date: 2007-07-25 20:55:13
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wednesday 25 July 2007 13:27, Pallav Kalva <pkalva(at)livedatagroup(dot)com>
wrote:
> I am hoping "SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "provisioning"."account" x WHERE
> "accountid" = $1 FOR UPDATE OF x" is causing the problem. If that is the
> case why doesnt it show in the pg_stat_activity view ? or am I missing
> something here ? what would be the reason for insert statement to hang
> like that ?

It's waiting for a lock, probably on one of the tables that it references
for foreign keys.

8.1 or later would have that happen a lot less; they altered the locking
requirements for foreign key lookups.

--
"It is a besetting vice of democracies to substitute public opinion for
law." - James Fenimore Cooper