Re: Updated tsearch documentation

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Updated tsearch documentation
Date: 2007-07-25 08:39:35
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Le mercredi 25 juillet 2007, Bruce Momjian a écrit :
> I have added more documentation to try to show how full text search is
> used by user tables. I think this the documentaiton is almost done:
>
> http://momjian.us/expire/fulltext/HTML/textsearch-tables.html

I've come to understand that GIN indexes are far more costly to update than
GiST one, and Oleg's wiki advice users to partition data and use GiST index
for live part and GIN index for archive part only.

Is it worth mentioning this into this part of the documentation?
And if mentioned here, partitioning step could certainly be part of the
example... or let it as a user exercise, but then explaining why GIN is a
good choice in the provided example.

Hope this helps, regards,
--
dim