Re: best use of an EMC SAN

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: best use of an EMC SAN
Date: 2007-07-11 15:33:37
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 09:03:27AM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
> Problem with dedicating the spindles to each array is that we end up
> wasting space. Are the SAN's smart enough to do a better job if I
> create one large metalun and cut it up ?

In my experience, this largely depends on your SAN and its hard- and
firm-ware, as well as its ability to interact with the OS. I think
the best answer is "sometimes yes".

However important originality may be in some fields, restraint and
adherence to procedure emerge as the more significant virtues in a
great many others. --Alain de Botton