Re: Hyper-Trading

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hyper-Trading
Date: 2007-07-10 21:01:05
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 08:09:11PM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:

> If your operating system is able to schedule the threads/processes across
> CPUs, PostgreSQL will use them.

But notice that hyperthreading imposes its own overhead. I've not
seen evidence that enabling hyperthreading actually helps, although I
may have overlooked a couple of cases.

I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to. That actually seems sort of quaint now.
--J.D. Baldwin