Re: [Fwd: Re: tsearch in core patch]

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp, euler(at)timbira(dot)com, teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: tsearch in core patch]
Date: 2007-06-25 04:40:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> > Ok, probably we need to copy the English stemming rule to the one for
> > Japanese.
>
> Pardon my ignorance here, but is the concept of stemming even relevant
> to Japanese/Chinese/Korean? What little I know about ideographic
> languages suggests it wouldn't work well. And surely the specific rules
> in the Snowball project's English stemmer wouldn't work.

Your undestanding is correct. English stemmer would not work for
Japanese "non English" part.

What I meant was the "chunks of English text" in Japanese.

> > I think same thing (commonly used English with local
> > language) can be applied to Chinese and Korean.
>
> Well, it's not hard at all to find chunks of English text that have
> embedded bits of French, Spanish, or what-have-you, but that's not an
> argument for trying to intermix the stemmers. I doubt that such simple
> bits of program could tell the language difference well enough to
> determine which stemming rules to apply.

For Japanese, it will be fairly simple: 7bit ASCII range words must be
English (Note that mostly used Japanese encodings such as EUC do not
allow to mix with ISO 8859).
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan