Re: Maintenance question / DB size anomaly...

From: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>
To: Kurt Overberg <kurt(at)hotdogrecords(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Maintenance question / DB size anomaly...
Date: 2007-06-20 13:25:42
Lists: pgsql-performance

> OOooooookaaaaaaaaay. Since the discussion has wandered a bit I just
> wanted to restate things in an effort to clear the problem in my head.
>
> Okay, so the sl_log_1 TABLE looks okay. Its the indexes that seem to
> be messed up, specifically sl_log_1_idx1 seems to think that there's
> > 300,000 rows in the table its associated with. I just want to fix
> the index, really. So my question remains:

Apologies, I must have misunderstood some previous message.

> Its it okay to dump and recreate that index (or reindex it) while the
> servers are down and the database is not being accessed?

There are people here who know _way_ more than me -- but I can't see any
reason why you couldn't just REINDEX it while everything is running. There
may be some performance slowdown during the reindex, but everything should
continue to chug along. A drop/recreate of the index should be OK as well.

> Tom, Bill, Chris and Richard, thank you so much for your thoughts on
> this matter so far. It helps to not feel "so alone" when dealing
> with difficult issues (for me anyway) on a system I don't know so
> much about.

:D Isn't Open Source great!

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com
Phone: 412-422-3463x4023

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information and is
intended only for the individual named. If the reader of this
message is not an intended recipient (or the individual
responsible for the delivery of this message to an intended
recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message is prohibited. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The
sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission.