Re: PostgreSQL Installer for Windows x64

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: "EBIHARA, Yuichiro" <ebihara(at)iplocks(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Installer for Windows x64
Date: 2007-06-20 07:49:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 04:31:40PM +0900, EBIHARA, Yuichiro wrote:
> Magnus,
>
> Thank you for your quick reply.
>
> > > Can I get a PostgreSQL Installer for Windows x64(EM64T)?
> > > That for 32bit Windows is available at
> > > http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/win32/ but I need x64 native version.
> >
> > There is no such thing. PostgreSQL 64-bit is currently only
> > supported on Unix based platforms.
>
> I thought I can run 64bit PG on Windows if I compile it myself...

Not yet. We hope to do this in the future, but we're not there yet.
Basically, 8.2 and earlier relied on MingW for building which cannot do
64-bit. 8.3 will also fully support MSVC, which will be the default
environment for the binary build. And since MSVC supports 64-bit, that's a
good start on our path to support native 64-bit.

> > The 32-bit version for Windows works just fine on 64-bit
> > windows, though.
>
> I'll go this way.
>
> BTW, nobody wants to utilize much larger cache?

You can do that with the 32-bit version! PostgreSQL mainly relies on the
filesystem cache for this, and 32-bit pg on 64-bit windows will utilize
that one just fine. The advantages of a native 64-bit version is mainly
that you can use more *sort memory* (not very common requirement), or that
you can use more registers and new instructions.

//Magnus