Re: Apparent Wraparound?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: g(dot)hintermayer(at)inode(dot)at
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Apparent Wraparound?
Date: 2007-06-19 13:32:00
Lists: pgsql-general

g(dot)hintermayer(at)inode(dot)at wrote:
> On Jun 18, 10:44 pm, alvhe(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)commandprompt(dot)com (Alvaro Herrera)
> wrote:
>

> > Please check "MultiXact" id consumption. Do you mean that your server
> > has crashed?
> >
> How do I check MilitXact id consumption ? Is it "Latest checkpoint's
> NextXID:" in the output of pg_controldata ?

No, it is these lines:

> Latest checkpoint's NextMultiXactId: 1
> Latest checkpoint's NextMultiOffset: 0

Which are the initial values. This means that you haven't use
MultiXacts at all! The message about failing to truncate the dir is
certainly a bug, and certainly harmless.

> transaction id consumption is ~ 350000 per day (extrapolated from 16
> hours).
> No, the Server has been up for about 2 month (regular reboot due to
> kernel and postgresql upgrade to 8.1.8), was running before for 7
> month flawless, and before that i migrated from 8.0 to 8.1.4 with a
> complete dump/restore).

And when was the message logged?

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.advogato.org/person/alvherre
"Saca el libro que tu religión considere como el indicado para encontrar la