Re: Autovacuum vacuums not setting start time in pg_stat_activity

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jim Nasby <jim(dot)nasby(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Autovacuum vacuums not setting start time in pg_stat_activity
Date: 2007-06-12 21:46:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Jim Nasby" <jim(dot)nasby(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> > This is on a 8.2.3 database; vacuums started by autovacuum don't get
> > their query_start time set.
>
> Hmm. Query_start is actually defined as "time of last client command
> receipt", so it's null just like client_addr/port are. Not sure if
> there's anything we should put there that's more meaningful than the
> backend start time.

Let's put the current command (vacuum/analyze) start time in there.
Backend start time, I assume, is the time at which the current autovac
iteration was started.

Should this be backpatched if changed in 8.3?

--
Alvaro Herrera Developer, http://www.PostgreSQL.org/
"El hombre nunca sabe de lo que es capaz hasta que lo intenta" (C. Dickens)