Sequence update function?

From: "Uwe C(dot) Schroeder" <uwe(at)oss4u(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Sequence update function?
Date: 2007-06-12 01:25:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

just thought I ask before I start doing it myself: Has anyone ever written a
stored procedure (or any other means) of syncing the sequence to the max #
key in the corresponding tables?

I'm running a simple script to update table contents between dev and
production system, however the script is flawed in the way that it copied the
primary key along (it's a simple pg_dump|pg-restore shellscript). It works
fine because all rows that are already there just fail for PK violation.
In the end I'm ending up with sequences out of sync. So i though a simple
little helper that loops over the sequences (information schema), grabs the
according table, does a max(key) on the table and sets the sequence to that
will do nicely.
Anyone written something like that?

Thanks

UC

--
Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC 1618 Kelly St
Phone: +1 707 568 3056 Santa Rosa, CA 95401