Re: the right time to vacuum database?

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: the right time to vacuum database?
Date: 2007-06-07 17:46:39
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-sql

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 12:07:03AM -0700, Charles.Hou wrote:
> i use the VACUUM VERBOSE a table , but it had been hold 10 minutes . i
> must use the linux command " kill " to exit the VACUUM.
> after i kill this PID, the PostgreSql have been restart
> automatically.

Maybe it was doing work. Why did you kill it? If there is a problem
on that table, I wouldn't be surprised that it'd take 10 minutes.
You just caused all the work it started to do to be undone, and to
cause more bloat. But. . .

> DETAIL: 0 dead row versions cannot be removed yet.

. . . this suggests you don't have bloat on that table at least. So
it sounds to me like your disk use is going up because you have a lot
of data.

In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.
--Brad Holland