Re: BUG #3343: Passwords not working

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Richard <richard(at)uniquelyrichard(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3343: Passwords not working
Date: 2007-06-04 07:45:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 09:59:05PM +0000, Richard wrote:

> Bug reference: 3343
> Logged by: Richard
> Email address: richard(at)uniquelyrichard(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.2.4-1
> Operating system: Win2K SP6

Where did you find that? Given that SP4 is the latest version that
Microsoft has released...

> Details:
>
> New to PG. Using it on W2k test platform, for test of OpenBravo ERP.
> Installed (for fourth time) using default settings. Computer is a
> standalone, running in workgroup mode.
> Install appeared to go well.
> However,
> 1) When I install OpenBravo and provide password for Superuser account, I
> get an error message that PG cannot validate. I go to pgAdminIII, and it all
> looks good.

This sounds like a problem in OpenBravo, for which you should probably talk
to the OpenBravo people. Since pgAdmin works, obviously the pg server can
authenticated properly.

> 2) When I go to command line for PG, it allows me to create databases
> WITHOUT password authentication. Why?

Most likely your password is saved in your pgpass.conf. See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/libpq-pgpass.html.

If you used the "Save password" feature in pgAdmin, it will have written it
to this file.

> 3) When I try to create a new user, it will not authenticate.

With what error?

> 4) In the cases when it will NOT authenticate due to password, PG identifies
> me as my OS log-on, not the Superuser or the Account Name from install.
> OS Services shows PG (running as a service) is running. I've re-cycled it a
> couple of times.

That's a client-side problem. Pg clients will by default attempt to log you in
with whatever you're logged in to windows with. If you want to change that,
you need to tell the program you're using. For psql, for example, use the
-U parameter. (see psql -? for information about other parameters)

//Magnus