List to Father Christmas

From: Laurent ROCHE <laurent_roche(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: List to Father Christmas
Date: 2007-05-22 13:06:36
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi,

As
I have managed to get error messages displaying correctly in PG-Admin
(thanks to a correct configuration on the PG Server), I have switched
to version 1.6.3, and I am sending this request feature list (I know
it's not Christmas anymore, Easter is already gone passed ... but I
always hope).

A bit of background about me:
I have been
working in the database for more than 10 years, doing consultancy work
and working for an editor of database tools (CAST). I have been mainly
working with Sybase and SQL-Servers (a bit with Oracle) and recently
with Derby and PostgreSQL ;-) !
All that to say, I have used quite a
few tools to work with databases in many configurations at many sites
... but always, the same ideas are coming back ! ;-)

My feature request list:

A/ Editor

A-1/ Search & replace Cancel
The "Cancel" button should be "Close": as hitting it does not cancel anything but just close the window.
By
the way in the French version, the second label "Remplacer par" is
slightly too long, and overides the begining of the text field box.

A-2/ History results
Keeping the results of the query would be useful (as an option).
In particular, for the next point !

A-3/ History navigation
Being able to navigate (previous/next) through the history of the requests typed in, would be really useful.
That's a feature I used to have in a previous tool and I missed it a lot.

B/ Table Editor

B-1/ modify new column
It's
really annoying that after creating a new column but still in the table
editor, it's not possible to modify it (modify button greyed out).
The
typical thing is creating a new column not null, and entering a lengthy
comment on the column. Then when I click OK on the table editor it's
complaining that there are null values on that column (of course, I
have just created it) so I want to correct the column definition (to
make it NULLable for example) ... BUT I CAN'T ! ! ! I have to delete
the column and then to create it again ! :-(

C/ Result set / Edit Data Windows

C-1/ INSERT INTO Copy/Paste
would like to copy lines from the data grid, and paste them into the
SQL command windows as an INSERT INTO. May be a special COPY could do
this.

C-2/ Close all Edit data windows
It will be great to be able to close all the Edit Data windows in one command (File ==> Close All Edit Data)

C-3/ Edit Data window title
The
title of the Edit Data windows is note very helpful: it's too long and
the very meaningful information (the table name) is at the end. So when
I browse through my many EditData windows opened (see previous remark
;-) !), all I can see is the name the application, the name of the
server and that's it. When I say browsing through my EditData windows,
I mean either cycling through applications with Alt+Tab or hovering the
icons in the task bar. And the text I get is typically:
pgAdmin III Edit Data - Server ServNm (servnm:5432) - my_database_name_
when I would like to see
pgAdmin III Edit - table_name - my_database_name_ - ServNm
(Note:
The names table_name, my_database_name_, ServNm are quite
representative in length of what I used on the many projects I have
worked on in more than 10 years)
To me I don't see, the point of having the full Server ServNm (servnm:5432): ServNm is enough.
May
be a solution will be to have the name configurable via preferences ?
(in the long term, but in short term changing the order would be nice)

C-4/ Edit Data in Table Tab
It will be nice to have an extra tab in the table view (next to Properties, Statistics, Dependencies, Dependents): Edit Data.
That would be what we get when doing View Data ==> View Top 100 rows on that table.
That will be really quicker when looking up data on a few tables.
If performance is an issue for some people, that could be an option to turn on or off.

C-5/ new IDENTICAL Edit Data window
Asking
confirmation before opening a new IDENTICAL Edit Data window, would be
nice (and offering to switch to the existing as an alternative).
As
the feature request C-4 is not already implemented, I often open many
data windows to read the tables content. As I don't always remember
what's already opened (age is not helping ;-) !), I open several times
the same data windows !

Thanks for reading that far ! ;-)

Have fun,
L(at)u