Re: ECPG patch to use prepare for improved performance

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: William Lawrance <bill(dot)lawrance(at)bull(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ECPG patch to use prepare for improved performance
Date: 2007-05-09 09:04:03
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 02:46:29PM -0700, William Lawrance wrote:
> This patch for ECPG utilizes the "PQprepare" and "PQexecPrepared"
> functions to cause SQL statements from ECPG to be cached. It does
> this without requiring any changes in the user's source program.

I still do not understand why you prepare each statement. This might
help you with your test case, but I don't like to add this as a general
rule. If a user wants a prepared statement he/she should use the prepare
statement. I agree that the prepare logic has to be rewritten and this
is high on my agenda, but I will probably only do this for statements
issued with EXEC SQL PREPARE not for every single statement.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
ICQ: 179140304, AIM/Yahoo: michaelmeskes, Jabber: meskes(at)jabber(dot)org