Re: Integer datetimes

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Integer datetimes
Date: 2007-05-05 08:46:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Neil Conway wrote:
> Notably, the FP datetime code doesn't depend on having a
> functional int64 type, but in 2007, are there really any platforms we
> care about that don't have such a type?

That is really the only question, AFAIR. The integer datetimes
implementation on a 32-bit type would have a range of about 1 hour (or
about 1 month, if you reduce it to millisecond precision), which would
make it totally useless.

If we wanted to move toward requiring a 64-bit type, we should put some
big warning into configure now that yells at the user if they don't
have that type. And if no one complains, we can make it a requirement
in a later release.

--
Peter Eisentraut