Re: Temporal Units

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Temporal Units
Date: 2007-04-29 20:02:39
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 07:43:52AM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> Alexander's reference to the internal postgres interval support as different
> from the SQL standard INTERVAL. If so, it's my mis-writing.
>
> Regulatory requirements are that monitoring is to be done 'once per
> shift,' 'daily,' 'weekly,' 'twice each month,' or 'monthly.' That does not
> mean the same day of the week or the same date each month. Even more vague
> is the requirement for monitoring after a storm event that results in 0.5
> inch of rain or more.

Then I'm afraid you havn't indicated your requirements properly. All I
can see is that the interval type does exactly what you want. It can
store days, weeks, months or any combination thereof. You can
multiply them and add them to dates and all works as expected.

If this isn't what you want, you need to give some actual examples of
what you want to store into the database and how you expect it to be
presented to you again.

Have a nice day,