Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>, Dan Harris <fbsd(at)drivefaster(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning
Date: 2007-04-27 19:11:11
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

Bill,

> The only one that seems practical (to me) is random_page_cost. The
> others are all configuration options that I (as a DBA) want to be able
> to decide for myself.

Actually, random_page_cost *should* be a constant "4.0" or "3.5", which
represents the approximate ratio of seek/scan speed which has been
relatively constant across 6 years of HDD technology. The only reason we
make it a configuration variable is that there's defects in our cost model
which cause users to want to tinker with it.

Mind you, that's gotten better in recent versions as well. Lately I mostly
tinker with effective_cache_size and the various cpu_* stats rather than
modifying random_page_cost.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus