Re: BUG #3256: msi installer failed to upgrade to newer version

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Hao Zhang <digizer0(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3256: msi installer failed to upgrade to newer version
Date: 2007-04-27 08:10:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 07:51:46AM +0000, Hao Zhang wrote:

> Bug reference: 3256
> Logged by: Hao Zhang
> Email address: digizer0(at)hotmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.2.4
> Operating system: Windows XP SP2
> Details:
>
> When using the win32 msi installer to upgrade server from 8.2.3 to 8.2.4,
> the installer failed and gave me an error message as this: Error 1923.
> Service 'PostgreSQL Database Server 8.2' (pgsql-8.2) could not be installed.
> Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.
>
> But since I have the administrator privilege, there should not be any
> privilege problem I think.
>
> Steps I performed: (all were under administrator privilege)
>
> 1. clean installed ver. 8.2.3, specified a unprivilege user to run the
> server process
> 2. run the upgrade.bat from ver. 8.2.4.
>
> BTW. this problem do not exist for this version only, the 8.1.x series also
> has the same problem.
>
> I can provide the install log if it's needed.

Interesting. Your workaround is to uninstall 8.2.3, and then install 8.2.4.
This will *not* remove your data directory. Just make sure you point it to
the same directories and same service account you used the first time, and
*don't* have the 8.2.4 installation run initdb, and you shuldb e fine.

//Magnus