Selecting rows with "static" ordering

From: Steve Midgley <public(at)misuse(dot)org>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Selecting rows with "static" ordering
Date: 2007-04-27 00:01:11
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello,

I have a strange problem (or one that I've never had before anyway). I
am searching for a list of "id's" for a given table (these id values
are generated at run-time and held statically in an application-local
variable).

From that application, I want to retrieve all those rows, and I want
them in the order they are currently stored in that variable. So take
for example this foreign application variable:

ids = "3,2,5,1,4"

The application then executes this sql:

select * from table where id in (3,2,5,1,4)

As-is, of course, the above query will return the 5 records in a
semi-random (i.e. unpredictable/unreliable) order. And I don't want to
just "order by id" - I want to "order by id(3,2,5,1,4)" (if you see
what I mean)

Is there a "neat trick" that anyone knows for pulling this off in a
single query? Basically right now I'm issuing 5 queries to the backend
to ensure ordering but this horribly inefficient.

Any input or advice would be appreciated,

Steve