How does server handle clients that disconnect ungracefully?

From: Jeff Lanzarotta <delux256-postgresql(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL GENERAL List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How does server handle clients that disconnect ungracefully?
Date: 2007-04-24 12:53:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I am writing an application that reads information from my PostgreSQL
database. If I cause the program to crash and the program ends without
gracefully disconnecting from the database, there is an open connection
still left in the database.

How does the PostgreSQL server handle clients that disconnect
ungracefully? Will the server automatically clean up this connection
that really is not there?

Thanks.

-Jeff