Re: Hacking on PostgreSQL via GIT

From: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
To: Martin Langhoff <martin(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
Cc: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hacking on PostgreSQL via GIT
Date: 2007-04-17 22:52:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Martin Langhoff <martin(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz> [070417 17:32]:

> > Having a git mirror of the pgsql CVS would be great.
> > BTW, I've just check out repo.or.cz, and noticed that there is already a
> > git mirror of the pgsql CVS: http://repo.or.cz/w/PostgreSQL.git
>
> Yes, I've seen it, but I don't know the guy. I can ensure you have a
> CVS->GIT gateway updated daily or twice daily.

I'm an unknown here, I know - I've used PostgreSQL for years, but only
recently started following the development community... And at this
point I'm still pretty much just following, hence my interest in getting
a GIT repot of PostgreSQL. GIT is *very* helful at a "new" code-base.

I have my CVS->GIT conversion running hourly from the anon-rsync of the
cvsroot. I don't know the specifics of the PostgreSQL rsync/mirror
setup, so I may be pulling it more frequently than it's actually
published, but until I hear from someone that tells me I'm taxing to
many rsync resources, I'll just leave it that way... The CVS->GIT
conversion is cheap - it's the rsync that takes most of the time... I
can run it more frequently if people think it would be valuble and the
rsync-admins don't care...

And remember the warning I gave that my conversion is *not* a direct CVS
import - I intentionally *unexpand* all Keywords before stuffing them
into GIT so that merging and branching can ignore all the Keyword
conflicts...

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk Create like a god,
aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca command like a king,