Re: What X86/X64 OS's do we need coverage for?

From: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Matthew O'Connor <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, Devrim Gündüz <devrim(at)CommandPrompt(dot)com>, "'Joshua D(dot) Drake'" <jd(at)CommandPrompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What X86/X64 OS's do we need coverage for?
Date: 2007-04-06 15:00:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Larry Rosenman wrote:
>> It doesn't matter as far as MY box is concerned. I use VMWare extensively
>> in my current $DAYJOB, and I want to be able to test/play with things
>> related
>> to that as well. The box I'm building will be using the (free) VMWare
>> Server
>> as it's virtualization platform.
>>
>> I'd still like to hear from a Tom Lane or someone else on the project with
>> what
>> X86 or X86_64 OS's we need coverage for.
>>

> VMWare Server is indeed a fine product, which I use extensively.
>
> I am not sure what our Windows support is like for x86_64. Magnus has one for
> MSVC (for which buildfarm support is nearly done, but not quite). But I don't
> see one for MinGW. OTOH, Windows is not free (in either sense) and setting up
> a build environment there is quite a bit harder than on Unix platforms.
If someone wants to supply the appropriate licenses, I would be willing to run
windows VM's on this beast. I don't have the free cash to pony up the licenses.

> The other platform I've whined about missing for some time is HP-UX,
> especially on PA-RISC. But that's a whole different story.
I'm seeing if I can use some HP-UX boxes I have at the office to supply
HP-UX 11.11 PA-800's. No guarantees at this point, but I am asking.

--
Larry Rosenman http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 512-248-2683 E-Mail: ler(at)lerctr(dot)org