Re: "Garbled" postgres logs

From: tgoodair(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info (Tim Goodaire)
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "Garbled" postgres logs
Date: 2007-04-05 15:44:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 04:51:33PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> No, syslogger is single-threaded so it can't be at fault. The
> interleaving must be happening when the data is inserted into the pipe
> that leads to syslogger. We've got multiple backends concurrently
> writing that pipe, remember.
>
> BTW, although I'm blaming stdio here, it's conceivable that it is
> issuing messages in a single write() and the kernel is failing to keep
> the writes atomic, as I think is required by spec if the write is for
> less than PIPEBUF bytes. So Tim might want to compare exact kernel
> versions as well as exact libc versions between the misbehaving machine
> and the others.

I've compared the libc and kernel versions between a misbehaving machine and a
machine that is logging properly and they're the same:

bos.rte.libc 5.3.0.52 C F libc Library
bos.mp64:bos.mp64:5.3.0.52: : :A:F:Base Operating System 64-bit
Multiprocessor Runtime

--
Tim Goodaire 416-673-4126 tgoodair(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info
Database Team Lead, Afilias Canada Corp.