Re: autovacuum question

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: autovacuum question
Date: 2007-03-30 15:04:16
Lists: pgsql-admin

Carol Walter wrote:
> I ran the command "show autovacuum" and postgres responds with "ON."
> My colleague says that I should be able to see it running if I run ps
> -aef. He said that he doesn't trust postgres reporting on itself.

I wouldn't trust your colleague then ...

> When I run the Unix ps command as above I don't see autovacuum. Does
> anyone know if it's running or not? This is on a box running Solaris.

It is running. It will only appear on the ps output when it's actually
processing a database; after it's done, it'll go away. Check the logs;
if autovacuum is getting stuck on something (for example failing to
start for some databases), then an error will be logged.