Re: Arrays of Complex Types

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: andrew(at)supernews(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Arrays of Complex Types
Date: 2007-03-28 17:11:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

David Fetter wrote:

> The first is in type_sanity, which basically doesn't understand that
> complex types now have array types associated with them and thinks
> they're orphan array types, so it's actually the test that's not
> right.

Hmm, I question the usefulness of automatically creating array types for
all relation types that are created -- the catalog bloat seems a bit too
much. An array of pg_autovacuum for example, does that make sense?

I'm not sure what was the reaction to having an "CREATE TYPE foo ARRAY
OF bar" command of some kind? I think this was discussed but not
explicitely rejected, or was it?