Re: Joining the OSA

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Andy Astor <andy(dot)astor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)sheeky(dot)biz>
Subject: Re: Joining the OSA
Date: 2007-03-28 02:50:09
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Andy,

> Personally, folks, I don't think it's that big a deal to agree to join,
> assuming the community generally supports the goals of the OSA. There's no
> requirement for specific activities, and no one would get down on an
> all-volunteer community for being relatively passive. All members (and
> Friends) do what they can.

Well, given the nature of our community it's pretty hard to speak for all
members. And the OSA agreement, at least on paper, requires everyone in
PostgreSQL to be enthusiastic about the OSA, which full consensus I can't
imagine getting.

I don't know if you were aware, but we were unable to get a consensus on
putting up anti-EU-patent banners on the home page during the campaign
period, also. And that's an idea a lot closer to the hearts of almost all of
our community.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun