Is there a shortage of postgresql skilled ops people

From: Marc Evans <Marc(at)SoftwareHackery(dot)Com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Is there a shortage of postgresql skilled ops people
Date: 2007-03-27 13:54:22
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

Hello -

Over the past couple of years I have made use of postgresql as my database
of choice when developing new software. During that time, my clients have
in multiple cases eventually come back to me and requested a re-targeting
to "Any database that we (my client) can find skilled ops staff to
support." In a most recent case, professional recruiters were employed to
try to find such people. The search was disappointing at best.

My question for this community is, what do enterprises that you deploy
postgresql within do for skilled operations staffing? I can understand
trying to convert a mysql or Oracle person to work on postgresql, but it
would be very helpful to have a potential talent pool to draw from that
was similar to those others. Finding people with HA, scaling and
performance tuning knowledge is something that seems impossible to find
except in people wanting to be developers.

The sad reality from what I have observed is that unless more people gain
those skills and want to work in ops, it's becoming very hard for me to
justify recommending postgresql for enterprise (or larger) scale projects.

What do others do and/or experience?

Thanks in advance - Marc