Re: Copyrights on files

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Copyrights on files
Date: 2007-03-26 23:39:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Someone has pointed out to me that we have non-PostgreSQL/Berkeley
> copyrights on a number of files:
>
> src/port/rint.c
> * Copyright (c) 1999, repas AEG Automation GmbH
>
> src/backend/port/dynloader/aix.c
> * This is an unpublished work copyright (c) 1992 HELIOS Software GmbH
> * 30159 Hannover, Germany
>
> src/backend/utils/mb/Unicode/UCS_to_GB18030.pl
> # Copyright 2002 by Bill Huang

The above copyright mentions have no actual BSD copyright text, so what
do we do? If we assume they are BSD copyrights that match our own, we
perhaps don't have a problem. If not, we do have a problem.

The one that is a more serious issue is in
/pgtop/contrib/pgcrypto/blf.*, where the BSD advertising clause is in
the copyright, and the author has updated the copyright:

* must display the following acknowledgement:
* This product includes software developed by Niels Provos.

I will try to contact all the authors to get permission to clean this
up.

* Blowfish block cipher for OpenBSD
* Copyright 1997 Niels Provos <provos(at)physnet(dot)uni-hamburg(dot)de>
* All rights reserved.
*
* Implementation advice by David Mazieres <dm(at)lcs(dot)mit(dot)edu>.
*
* are met:
* notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
* notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
* documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
* 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
* must display the following acknowledgement:
* This product includes software developed by Niels Provos.
* 4. The name of the author may not be used to endorse or promote products
* derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
*