Re: contrib/spi makefile inconsistency

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: contrib/spi makefile inconsistency
Date: 2007-03-23 08:20:51
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 12:33:30PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > contrib/spi has a Makefile that uses $(addsuffix) makefile rules for
> > DATA_built and DOCS. It's the only Makefile in contrib that does it.
> > I would like to change that to actually listing the modules instead.
>
> This seems like a definite regression in terms of writing the makefiles.
> I'm not very happy about it --- just how much complexity are you saving
> in the msvc support? And have you looked at the other places where
> addsuffix is already used? (It looks like many of the contrib modules
> rely on pgxs.mk's usages of addsuffix...)

A grep shows that only spi/Makefile uses addsuffix...

(The rules in the pgxs makefiles are "emulated" and does the same
functionality, but I don't actuallyi *parse* the pgxs makefile)

But. Given the comments from you and Peter, I'll hold back on doing this
and attempt to parse it. For the current testing ("just get the darn tests
running"), I'll hard-code the spi exception in the msvc build code instead
- pending a proper parser for it.

//Magnus