Re: Search on postgresql.org doesn't work properly?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: nikolay(at)samokhvalov(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Search on postgresql.org doesn't work properly?
Date: 2007-03-21 09:46:37
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 05:03:40PM +0300, Nikolay Samokhvalov wrote:
> Trying to search for "INHERITS" I see empty result:
> http://search.postgresql.org/search?u=%2Fdocs%2F8.2%2Finteractive%2F&q=INHERITS
>
> "Your search for INHERITS returned no hits."

Thanks for reporting this, fixed. It was a case of double-escaping the
suburl, so it actually search in '/docs instead of /docs.

(The problem was in the suburl search, not in the word inherits itself)

> But if I check "Include community sites" checkbox, I get 467 links:
> http://search.postgresql.org/search?u=%2Fdocs%2F8.2%2Finteractive%2F&q=INHERITS&a=1

Including community sites negates the url restriction, that's why.

> Why so? The first link found is
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/ddl-partitioning.html.
> Why the main documentation is included to search results only when
> "Include community sites" is selected?

Because it searches main docs *plus* community sites. Thus, "include".
Otherwise we'd have a completely different selection in the menu on the
left.

> Also, a couple of additional notes:
> 1. I would add DISTINCT to search SELECT (in the example above
> results 2-5 are the same,
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/ddl-partitioning.html).

They're not distinct, they're from different versions.

> 2.
> I'd also add ordering rule to push most recent version of
> documentation up (in the same example we see that #1 is docs for v8.1,
> and only after that -- the same page for v8.2).

Yeah, that's on my TODO list.

//Magnus