Re: which distro, or to build

From: David Bear <David(dot)Bear(at)asu(dot)edu>
To: Joshua Kramer <josh(at)globalherald(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: which distro, or to build
Date: 2007-03-21 01:16:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 09:06:35PM -0400, Joshua Kramer wrote:

> David,
>
> >I'm getting really mad at RHEL 4. They do not package a recent
> >postgres in the base distro, and only put 8.1.x in a disk call
> >lamp-beta... So now I wonder what a 'recommended' way of running
> >postgresql is -- meaning, any linux distro will do, just build it --
>
> Why not just download the RHEL4 packages from the Postgres mirrors? PG
> runs fine for me in that manner, on CentOS-4 (a RHEL rebuild).

Thought of that and then wondered if I would face the same dependancy
issues that using the rpms from redhat gave me. Do you know if redhat
just redistributed the pg rpms? Or, do these rpms actually include
depndancy resolution? For example, trying to install the rpm from
redhat I get a failed dependance for libpq.so.4 --- but I have no idea
what package redhat would have put libpq in... and so it goes. Where
should I spend time? Tracking down dependancies? Or finding a better
host operating system -- at least one packaged with things the pg
needs.

--
David Bear
phone: 602-496-0424