Re: SOC & user quotas

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Sergey E(dot) Koposov" <math(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Subject: Re: SOC & user quotas
Date: 2007-02-28 18:39:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 09:58:52AM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> E.g; if user foo then pg_database_size may not be > than X?
>
> I guess the big question would be when do we check though? At each
> transaction seems like it would add significant overhead, especially if
> we had to rollback the transaction because it was going to go over their
> quota.

Generally, rolling back a transaction doesn't reduce the amount of disk
used. Only VACUUM FULL actually shrinks relations.

Seem to me if the RelationOpen stores a pointer to a counter that gets
incremented on mdextend, it should work reasonably well. Extending
doesn't happen that often relative to other database activity.

Have a nice day,