Re: Post-Reboot Issue: Postmaster Not Accessible

From: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)simkin(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Post-Reboot Issue: Postmaster Not Accessible
Date: 2007-02-28 16:21:41
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wednesday 28 February 2007 08:12, Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
wrote:

> [rshepard(at)salmo ~]$ psql -h localhost -U postgres aesi
> Welcome to psql 8.1.4, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.
>
> Type: \copyright for distribution terms
> \h for help with SQL commands
> \? for help with psql commands
> \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
> \q to quit
>
> aesi=# \q
> [rshepard(at)salmo ~]$ psql aesi
> psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
> Is the server running locally and accepting
> connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

Something happened to your /tmp directory after PostgreSQL started up.

Stop the postmaster, clean out the socket in /tmp, and restart the
postmaster, and it will likely fix it up. Then you can investigate your
boot process to see what's going wrong.

--
"Remember when computers were frustrating because they did exactly what
you told them to? That actually seems sort of quaint now." --J.D. Baldwin