Re: How often do I need to reindex tables?

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Dhaval Shah <dhaval(dot)shah(dot)m(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How often do I need to reindex tables?
Date: 2007-02-27 19:56:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 11:26:02AM -0800, Dhaval Shah wrote:
> I am planning to use 8.2 and the average inserts/deletes and updates
> across all tables is moderate. That is, it is a moderate sized
> database with moderate usage of tables.
>
> Given that, how often do I need to reindex the tables? Do I need to do
> it everyday?

No, you should very rarely if ever need to do it.

If you're really concerned, I suggest monitoring average tuples per
index page; something like

SELECT relname, reltuples/relpages FROM pg_class WHERE relkind = 'i' AND
relpages > 1000;

That'll show tuples/page for all indexes over 8MB in size.

> Also with 8.2, I do not have to do vacuum anymore or that is what I
> understand. Does it do auto-vacuum?

You still need to enable autovacuum. See autovacuum_enable.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net