Re: Simple Column reordering

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Simple Column reordering
Date: 2007-02-26 20:22:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce,

> True, but usually I don't see the breakage. What concerned me is you
> saw some of the breakage, but still went ahead with the proposal.

That's completely unfair, Bruce. This is a *discussion list*, and hackers are
free to propose and discuss even far-out improbable ideas in the hopes that
someone else on the list can make them work. -hackers is not a clearinghouse
for already-perfected work; that's -patches.

For my part, I continue to the interested in this proposal and would like to
see some performance benchmarks on it. If there is enough performance gain,
I think it would be possible to implement a "logical" order which was
different from the "physical" order. Such a feature would also allow us to
give the MySQLites the ability to re-order columns they keep asking for.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun