Re: SCMS question

From: "Matthew D(dot) Fuller" <fullermd(at)over-yonder(dot)net>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SCMS question
Date: 2007-02-26 01:06:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 06:06:57PM -0500 I heard the voice of
Neil Conway, and lo! it spake thus:

> The ability to do history-sensitive merges actually results in a
> significant reduction in the need for manual conflict resolution.

I would say that a far greater contributor in practice would simply be
frequency. If you diverge on your significant feature for 6 months,
then try to merge in upstream changes from the main dev, you will be
in hell no matter what merge algorithm you use. If you merge in
upstream changes every few days, however, you will have many fewer and
much simplier conflicts to deal with.

A VCS that makes frequent merges easy results in easier conflict
handling, not by some magical auto-resolution, but just by letting you
do it in ongoing regular and small bites.

--
Matthew Fuller (MF4839) | fullermd(at)over-yonder(dot)net
Systems/Network Administrator | http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/