Re: Triggers inherited?

From: Marc Evans <Marc(at)SoftwareHackery(dot)Com>
To: Bertram Scharpf <lists(at)bertram-scharpf(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Triggers inherited?
Date: 2007-02-23 11:22:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi -

I too have encountered this issue. The work around that I created was to
have every table have a set of 3 cooresponding functions that know how to
1) create the table; 2) create triggers for the table; 3) create indexes
for the table. By doing so, I then am able to use a lazy partitioning
technique, such that an insert trigger determines if the necessary
partition exists, and if not, calls the functions needed to create it. It
keeps the SQL needed for a table in a single location (DRY), and is
flexible enough to be used for creating virgin databases as well as
updating existing databases.

- Marc